This wonderful survey was created by Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner and I thought it might be fun to give it a go this year :0)
Number Of Books You Read: 75
Number of Re-Reads: 1
Genre You Read The Most From: It was a pretty even split between Romance and YA
1. Best Book You Read In 2016?
I'm going to do two books, but they are from different genres. One is romance, which I read all the time, and the other is a thriller, which I barely ever read.
'You' by Caroline Kepnes
'When Joss Met Matt' by Ellie Cahill
I absolutely loved both of these! 'You' took me completely by surprise and it's a little love/hate, because I felt pretty terrible about loving a character that is actually such a horrible person...haha. 'When Joss Met Matt' was just adorable and funny and so wonderful!
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
'Every Heart a Doorway' by Seanan McGuire. The premise on this was absolutely amazing and there were things about the actual story that lived up to some of my expectations, but over all I was very underwhelmed by this story. I may still pick up the next installment, but I probably won't rush to it.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?I've actually got two here, as well. I read both 'Illuminae' and 'Simon vs. the Homosapien's Agenda' in 2015 and spent a large part of 2016 bugging people to read them both, because I absolutely adored each of them.
5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?I started 'The Bone Season' by Samantha Shannon in 2016 and I am pumped to read the next books in the series. It was such an interesting world and I am so curious to see where it goes. The best series ender I read in 2016 was 'Sweet Reckoning' by Wendy Higgins. That books worked for me 100%, I don't think I had any complaints about how this series wrapped up.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
Ellie Cahill (aka Liz Czukas)! I've actually got a couple of her books on my shelves, but I never read her until this year. If all of her books are as adorable as the first one I read, sign me up!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?I don't love historical fiction and I rarely read anything that is even the slightest bit historical. However, I have found that if I listen to historical fiction novels I seem to enjoy them more. That said, I listened to 'The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August' and really enjoyed it.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?Hands down 'You' by Caroline Kepnes. This book made me feel weird things about myself and gave me all kind of crazy emotions, but I loved it and *cringe* I loved Joe.
9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?This one is a tie between a couple of 2017 releases and 'When Joss Met Matt' by Ellie Cahill.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?I was kind of underwhelmed by the book itself, but I LOVED the cover for 'Carry On' by Rainbow Rowell.
11. Most memorable character of 2016?Broken record, thy name is Sarah, but my most memorable character is definitely Joe Goldberg from 'You' by Caroline Kepnes.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?'The Wall of Winnipeg and Me' by Mariana Zapata. This sucker is huge, but I could not stop reading and never got bored.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016?'Wrecked' by Maria Padian was such a thought provoking book. It gave such an interesting take on perspective and packed some pretty powerful insights.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016?Shortest was 'Fortunately, the Milk...' by Neil Gaiman (160 pages)
Longest was 'The Wall of Winnipeg and Me' by Mariana Zapata (673 pages)
17. Book That Shocked You The MostI may be the only one who was surprised by this, and perhaps it was because I listened to the audio instead of reading, but I did not see the plot twist coming in 'Everything, Everything' by Nicola Yoon.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)Garrett and Wellsy from 'The Deal' by Elle Kennedy. This was my one re-read for this year and I still love them. They are my favorite couple of the Off Campus series.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The YearDevon and Foster from 'First & Then' by Emma Mills, in fact, toss in Foster and Ezra from the same book. This all comes down to Foster. That kid was all kinds of amazing. I love him!
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously'The Upside of Unrequited' by Becky Albertalli. This one doesn't come out for quite some time, but her debut last year was one of my favorites and this sophomore novel did not disappoint.
21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:'Spontaneous' by Aaron Starmer. The person who recommended this to me was actually a publicist at ALA Annual. I had not previously even heard about this book and they had a shelf of them sitting in their booth and I basically was all 'Holy yellow cover, batman' to my best friend and the publicist heard me and kindly came over to explain it was a YA about spontaneous combustion and that it was awesome. She had me at spontaneous combustion.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?Porter Roth from 'Alex, Approximately' by Jenn Bennett. I still just really want to snuggle him.
23. Best 2016 debut you read?Umm...I don't think I actually read any 2016 debuts in 2016...shame on me.
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?'P.S. I Like You' by Kasie West. Secret pen pals for the win!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?'Me Before You' by Jojo Moyes
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?'Mothership' by Martin Leicht & Elsa Neal. This was a completely random read for me this year, but it was so silly and charming.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?'Catch a Tiger by the Tail' by Charlie Cochet. That ending, oh my heart!
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016?I'll say 'Nimona' by Noelle Stephenson, because it was the only graphic novel I read this year.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
'Dark Matter' by Blake Crouch. Not because I didn't enjoy the book, but because in the end what I wanted to happen isn't what was in the book...
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?
'Six of Crows' by Leigh Bardugo. I actually started this one (barely) in 2016, but for all kinds of reasons, I didn't finish it. I am actually planning to read it and the sequel 'Crooked Kingdom' this year.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)?'By Your Side' by Kasie West, because I only read her for the first time in 2016, but she makes my contemporary loving heart so happy.
3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?I cannot only pick one, but I could answer this question with huge list, so I will choose two from all the ones I am eagerly awaiting.
'The Love Interest' by Cale Dietrich and 'My Fairy Godmother is a Drag Queen' by David Clawson. Eeeep!!
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?'Thick & Thin' by Charlie Cochet
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017?Get more active in blogging, start participating in some weekly features again, and more consistenly reviewing all of those books I'm reading.
6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
'Geekerella' by Ashley Poston. This book spoke to my geeky little heart so, so much. I adored it and want to live in it, and it has inspired me to get my butt back to MegaCon again this year :0)